Thursday, November 20, 2008

He Who Rules The Roost


My whole life I would guess that I have been a dog person. I love dogs and anyone who knows me would say that purebred dogs are a passion if not an obsession of mine. I have taken time over the years to understand what the purebred dog is all about. Origins, pedigrees and what is behind them are of never ending interest with me. I would dare to say I have a pretty good eye as well. I can read, understand and apply a breed standard like few others that I know. I also retain the ability to remain totally objective in my critiques. I guess you could say that I really, really dig dogs.

Well, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum, a certain cat came into my life. I had no intention on loving this animal, only to tolerate it as it lived out it's life in my company. Thinking back on it I would say that he thought the same of me. It was a classic battle of wills. He would size me up as I would him. I thought if I would just let him be that perhaps I could forget that he even existed. But alas, that was not his plan and in the end he won.

When I first met Charlie he was not accepting of anyone he didn't know getting within touching distance. He would grumble and growl and in the sense of true self preservation I would not push anything. I remember in those early days when I would stumble still sleepy from my bedroom he would be perched in the window and attempt to speak to me (or at me) and nothing would come out. Now, I think that is a very special part of our relationship.

Amidst us both doing our best to ignore one another something special happened. We connected. I remember when he decided I was worthy enough to actually touch his feet while he and I lounged on the bed together. It was as if he stated he trusted me fully. He knew that I would never hurt him and that he would never hurt me. Ever since we have an unspoken bond, an understanding and a true friendship.

I once had a little pug named Higgins, who aside from my daughter I loved more than anything. He was taken from me and ever since there has been a huge hole in my heart. Little did I know that this unassuming and aloof little orange cat would come into my life. While he has not healed the hole he sure has made it a hell of a lot smaller. I love Charlie so much, and he loves me.

That much I am 110% certain.

Cheers,
BC

No comments: